9.30.2013

reconsidering animal



For years I have been staunchly anti-animal print, but lately I've begun to have a change of heart. Don't get me wrong, it can easily be gaudy and overdone (case in point), but I think a small amount can add a great pop of pattern to an outfit.

Here are my tips for keeping animal print out of Snooki territory:




1. Limit animal print to a small part of your outfit, such as a shoes or a clutch. I particularly like pieces that are only partially printed:


                             
                                        [clutch from the Gap, Dolce Vita Gino boots from Nordstrom]


2. Stick to prints that don't scream "I might be wearing fur!". A good Dalmatian print often reads as more of a polka dot than an animal hide:



[Wrap dress by Tucker, Belt from Anthropologie]



3. Only choose prints in natural colors (is there anything more tacky than blue leopard?). Accessories will be more wearable if they can function as a neutral:


 
[Leopard flats from J.Crew, belt photo from Michaela Noelle Designs]


3. For an even more subtle version, look for new takes on animal prints, like these leopard and cheetah prints featuring the actual animals:


[phone case by Rifle Paper co, t-shirt from Forever 21]


What's your take on animal prints? Have I lost my mind?


[top photo via Carolines Mode]


No comments:

Post a Comment