5.12.2012

go for the gold!



Let's say you are hosting a competition (like maybe a burger cook-off?) and you need a trophy. Let's say you forgot about it until the day before. So now you need it on the quick and preferably on the cheap. "Impossible!" you might say.

Nonsense! Just make one out of crap around your house (or crap you find in the clearance section of Target).

Now before I get your hopes up too high, you may be wondering, "Will this look as official as the trophy I got in second grade for playing soccer? Will people believe I spent a lot of money on this solid gold trophy?". The answer is no.

But stop right there. When was the last time someone made you a trophy? The question you should be asking is, "will it make someone's day to receive a handmade trophy even if it is a little crappy?". 
Of course it will!


There are many things you can use to make a trophy. The most important elements are:
1. A sturdy base (I've found empty yogurt containers work great for this)
2. A fun shape for the top (In this tutorial I'm using magic wands I found in the kid's party section of Target. For past cooking competitions, I've also used cheap-o spatulas I found at the dollar store)
3. Gold spray paint. This is non-negotiable. A trophy isn't a trophy if it isn't gold. 

Click below to see how easy it is:




Step 1: Acquire your trophy making supplies. I was pretty psyched to find these hamburger shaped erasers with the wands, so I really went to town. 


Step 2: Attach the top to the base. Cut hole in the yogurt container and insert at least 1" of the wand handle. To get the top to stand up securely, you will probably have to fill the base with something. If your top is light, you can use Styrofoam or floral foam. If it is heavier, you may want fill the base with pebbles or dried beans. Use a hot glue gun to glue everything in place.


Step 3: Now the magic happens! Go for the Gold!


Step 4: Voila! Let the spray paint dry for a few hours (you may need to do a second coat) and then add any embellishments you may have.  Don't forget to add an official looking label (I used these).


Step 5: Let the award ceremonies begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment